Post boxes

By Mary Fielding

How sad!

The George V letterbox on Back Ends has been removed and a new Elizabeth II one put in its place.  What has happened to the old one?  We hope it has been saved.

Photo:The old post box in Back Ends

The old post box in Back Ends

Wendy Chapman

Photo:The modern replacement

The modern replacement

Wendy Chapman

Photo:The earliest post box in town - installed, according to the Evesham Journal, in 1895, in the wall of St. Catharine's School.

The earliest post box in town - installed, according to the Evesham Journal, in 1895, in the wall of St. Catharine's School.

Wendy Chapman

Photo:An early photo, by Henry Taunt, of the post being collected.

An early photo, by Henry Taunt, of the post being collected.

Photo:Leasbourne postbox

Leasbourne postbox

Wendy Chapman

Photo:The main post box in the High Street

The main post box in the High Street

Photo:By 1891 Julius Neve was running the Post Office in London House. The post box (on the left) was not installed until the 1930s and is no longer there.

By 1891 Julius Neve was running the Post Office in London House. The post box (on the left) was not installed until the 1930s and is no longer there.

In 1967 the Post Office moved to its present location.

Photo:George VI post box in Aston Road

George VI post box in Aston Road

Wendy Chapman

 

There are no pillar boxes in Campden – the post boxes are all set in walls or fixed to posts.

Is it only towns that have pillarboxes?

 

This page was added on 17/11/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.