Shops then and now

The changing look of Campden shops over 100 years

Some shops in Campden have been in the same use for many years but most change ownership quite frequently. Our archives hold photographs going back 100 years and we are also recording the uses of buildings in the High Street now, building up a picture of the changing commercial life of the town.

 

Photo:In the 1920s this was Prout's store, selling clothes for the whole family

In the 1920s this was Prout's store, selling clothes for the whole family

Jesse Taylor

Photo:Roberts and Co.

Roberts and Co.

Photo:The building in 2001.  Note that the roof line is different from the mansard roof of the Roberts & Co photograph.

The building in 2001. Note that the roof line is different from the mansard roof of the Roberts & Co photograph.

Photo:Keeleys and Post Office; note how the windows have changed slightly from Prouts and Roberts layout.

Keeleys and Post Office; note how the windows have changed slightly from Prouts and Roberts layout.

Aaron Rigg

Photo:Rob in the post office shop

Rob in the post office shop

Aaron Rigg

Photo:The Post Office until 2016.  It is now based in The Old Police Station

The Post Office until 2016. It is now based in The Old Police Station

Aaron Rigg

 

see also the story of postal delivery in Campden

Jesse Taylor's photography shop

This shop is on the 'topside' of the High street, near the Market Hall.

Photo:Jesse Taylor's first shop

Jesse Taylor's first shop

Jesse Taylor

Photo:Interiors shop 2004

Interiors shop 2004

Photo:After various changes of use the shop is now Frankie Doodle.

After various changes of use the shop is now Frankie Doodle.

Aaron Rigg

Greengrocers

Photo:One hundred years ago this shop was run by Martha Ellis,who sold fish and vegetables.

One hundred years ago this shop was run by Martha Ellis,who sold fish and vegetables.

Photo:Ellis's closed in 1958 and had a variety of owners before Drinkwaters took over and selling fresh fruit and vegetables.

Ellis's closed in 1958 and had a variety of owners before Drinkwaters took over and selling fresh fruit and vegetables.

Aaron Rigg

Bakery

This shop started as a little 'corner shop' in the front room, but in the 1940s developed into a bakery.

Photo:Walters tea shop, the half-timbered building, well-used by cycling clubs

Walters tea shop, the half-timbered building, well-used by cycling clubs

Photo:Still called Walters, but run by Mr & Mrs Frank James. This photo was taken in 1953 when Frank, a noted confectioner, made cakes as the Royal Regalia.

Still called Walters, but run by Mr & Mrs Frank James. This photo was taken in 1953 when Frank, a noted confectioner, made cakes as the Royal Regalia.

 

Photo:Cotswold Collection, a clothes shop, which closed in 2010

Cotswold Collection, a clothes shop, which closed in 2010

 

Photo:Now 'Le Tradition', selling French bread and pastries

Now 'Le Tradition', selling French bread and pastries

Aaron Rigg

This gallery was added by Judith Ellis on 12/06/2014.